Thursday, June 6, 2013

Flying (And Doing Other Things) Solo

I’m just going to open with the fact that I’m still not ready to date. I’m a late bloomer in that area, I guess.  Or maybe I just missed the first window.  Since I had kids early, my first window was early. And before we move on, I just want to say that these windows are something kind of ridiculous that I made up and apply to no one but me. The first window for me would have been when the kids were older than 3 but still not a teenager or in middle school yet. Now that my oldest is both, it would be weird to have and teen and then there would be me in love and going on dates like a teen. That’s just gross to me. And I can’t traumatize my children. Or myself.  So while I wait, I consider myself “in training”. I want a check list of things to do alone. This is what I have so far:

  1. Dine alone
  2. Go see a movie solo
  3. Travel alone  (mastered that one a while back)
  4. Have a weekend getaway for just me
  5. Go to a museum by myself
  6. Go to a formal occasion alone
  7. Show up to a book reading


I can’t think of anything else. Usually when I’m alone I rent movies the kids can’t watch and order Chinese and spend the night in. How I relish it. Sometimes I forget that I can up and go wherever on those evenings. 


Oh and sorry I haven’t been on in weeks. Everything was crazy busy for weeks at a time. I hoped my TV recaps sufficed. I just don’t like to write on life when I can’t put my heart into it. There were some periods of reflection there. Sometimes I take on too much and I get physically, emotionally, and mentally tired. There will be more posts on that coming up. Until then, be happy where you are in life. J

6 comments:

  1. I can't get over how opposite we are personality wise. I'm very extroverted and am probably going on my sixth girlfriend this year (yeah, I donno.) And you do this whole post about how you want to do everything alone. I guess whatever floats your boat really :)

    I can identify with your last paragraph though. I take on too much, look for inspiration in all the wrong places, and as a result I feel like I'm not giving my readers the best content possible.

    The paradox is being a consistently good writer. I'm not sure how I'll obtain it, but I'll give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girlfriend #6, wow, most guys wish they had one this year. lol Yeah, I just go through different phases and this is my alone phase. A few years back I wanted to get out of the house at all costs. We'll see where I'm at in the next few. lol

      Delete
  2. I cant go to a movie alone, it feels odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now challenge you to go to a movie alone.

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the whole list. I never got comfortable with any of it. Well, except for formal occasion. That never bothered me when I was single. I guess guys go to those things though and figure they have a shot with whatever single woman showed up. I know I did. Ok...it's time for this comment to end.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't comfortable with it a few years back, but I'm trying to get out of my comfort zone. lol And I think I am super comfortable at this point so why not, right?

      It sucks being single at formal occasions, to me. There is so much pressure to not look lame and hope someone you are mutually attracted to asks you to dance or at the very least strike up a good conversation.

      Delete