Friday, June 21, 2013

The Short Hair Chronicles (Episode 1?)

A few weeks ago I had a migraine. Not only that, my head felt like it was on fire. My neck hurt, too, for some reason. I quickly deduced that it must be that my hair is too long.  When your hair is down to your bum it can feel quite heavy. Frantically I opened drawers looking for scissors. I called to my daughter to bring me some of her scissors. When she asked why I responded that I was going to cut my hair.  Sensing I was about to make a horrible decision….she ran off and got them.

Yeah, it was kind of like this.

Using geometry, I figured that putting my hair in a high pony tail on my head and then pulling it to the front and away from my face about 5 inches would get me the desired results. This angle would make the hair in front shorter than the hair in the back.  I bent over the trash can and began hacking away.  When I was done I pulled my hair out of the band and shook my hair. “Cool! You should be a barber!” exclaimed my daughter.  I didn’t feel like correcting her, I just ran to a mirror.  Not bad.  It did look layered in the front, but the back was slightly uneven.  Plus my hair still felt heavy.

I started harassing everyone I knew that had good hair for the name of their stylist. Finally, I got one.  His name was Israel and he works out of Haute Innovations. If you’re in the DFW area you should check him out.  My friend gave me his link on Schedulicity and I set up an appointment. Since he does not take walk-ins this would ensure that I would be his only focus during my time there.

I then perused the interwebs for celebrities that I look nothing like.  Google searches for “Eva Mendes Short Hair”  “Penelope Cruz Long Bob” and “Selena Gomez Thick Hair Bob” began to take place. I settled on 3 different looks and printed them out and went to bed.

Twinsies!


But I couldn’t really fall asleep.  What if it didn’t look right? Will it be elementary school all over again?  You see, I had a bad bob back in the day.  Maybe it was a good bob, but at 10 I didn’t know much about styling or controlling frizz.  I consoled myself with the fact that technology in hairstyling tools and products has come a long way since the 80’s and 90’s. No, this is going to be a good thing. I will pull this off.
The morning of the cut was like the first day of school. I even dressed up. I worked from home that day so my usual uniform is yoga pants and a band or superhero shirt.  Not today, my friends.  Today I was going in dressed professional and even did full make up.  I meant business. 

I walked in and felt so at ease. Talk about hitting it off right away.  We talked and talked and talked and I had confidence that it was going to go well.  When he was done he spun me around and I absolutely loved it! I was just what I needed because I was in a rut.  My hair was long, one length, utterly boring.  Now it had some flair and went with my personality.  I hugged him and thanked him.  Also I didn’t want to leave, lol, we had such a good time talking.  I really wanted to call in and tell my boss I wanted the rest of the day off. I just wanted to stay and talk to Israel all day.  Working at home keeps me from socializing a lot as you can see.

After work I sent pictures to my mom and family. I also kept walking by mirrors and turning my head swiftly so my hair would shake with my movements.  So I have a cut and style that I liked, the real test is how well I would style it after I washed it. I won’t keep you in suspense. I handled up and styled it! Although, I did forget my hair was short when I took a shower and I accidentally poured a huge blob of shampoo.  I do love that I’m saving money on products. But it’s weeks later and my hair grows super-fast and I need a cut again.  Argh!!!!


I love it this length. Don’t get me wrong, I plan to let my hair grow out as soon as life slows down and I can go back to spending an hour on it. But for now, at this busy point in my life, it’s perfect.  If you want to take a look it’s on my Twitter profile pic. @TheTrueSandy

No comments:

Post a Comment