Friday, March 15, 2013

Movie Review: Jack The Giant Slayer


Movie Review
Jack The Giant Slayer

Rated: PG-13

Violence (battle scenes and dismemberment)
Language

I had the chance to see Jack the Giant Slayer. I didn't love it, but I did like it. The group I saw it with had mixed feelings about the movie and that really didn't help. We were divided.

For those that don't know Jack (Nicholas Hoult) climbs an unbelievably large beanstalk that grew via magic beans. In this movie he is assisting in the rescue of a princess (Eleanor Tomlinson). Up there he and the king's chosen men find a slew of giants that just so happen to eat people.

Let me start with what I didn't like about the movie. By the way, I saw this is IMAX 3D with Dolby Digital sound. I felt those effects were important in a movie of this magnitude. The movie began slowly. A little too slow for my taste.  It took about 20 minutes to get the characters introduced and to get the ball rolling. Some of the comedic scenes weren't that funny. A few garnered a laugh from me but that was about it.  Also I wasn't sure about the ending. Was it open for a sequel or what?  And I think the final battle scene was a little anti-climactic. Fortunately there was one scene right before that one that was exciting.

Not too sure but....they might be giants.

Now on to what I did like about it. Of course the graphics were stellar.  Every giant had its own unique look while still looking like a related tribe or kingdom if you will. The beanstalk was spectacular. It was the best adaptation of a beanstalk from a book. It took the house with it and it reminded me of Dorothy’s house being swept up in The Wizard of Oz which coincidentally the prequel is out at this same time. There were some violent scenes but nothing remarkable. I love that there was an entire army of giants and not just ten. And those giants were creepy looking. Some reminded me of Garbage Pail Kids. If you’re afraid of heights as I am, then certain scenes will make your palms sweat. The sound was great, you could hear every breath in some intense scenes and when there was a yell it shook the table (restaurant theater).

All in all, it wasn't as fantastic as I hoped it would have been. And I really wanted it to be. I just can’t put my finger on what the film was missing.  I don’t think it was worth it seeing in 3D for just a few scenes. I would have done 2D had I known. One more thing, teens may find it boring while elementary school age children may be a little afraid of the giants. I know because I was with one and those giants can appear ferocious. I give it 6 ½ stars out of 10.

Also starring Stanley Tucci.

No comments:

Post a Comment