Friday, February 1, 2013

Make New Memories


When a place or a song jostles a memory of someone, and that person is gone, they tend to avoid those reminders.  They stop going to the coffee shop that they loved because they went there with an ex and it’s too painful.  They turn the station when that song comes on the radio. The one they danced to all night.

In my previous post, I mentioned about going to the restaurant my dad took us to on special occasions. No running from the memories, just taking it all in. A way of honoring him, I guess.  A way of reliving good times.  But what if you want to forget someone?  Does one stay away from the places that they liked just to repress all of those memories?  Screw that. Nothing can keep me away from the best Chinese takeout by my house. Now if there was a chance that I would run into my ex, then yeah, I’d stay away. That type of situation has got to be frustrating. Fortunately, mine moved elsewhere. I have the city to myself. Instead of shying away from the theater we went to, I go there 20 more times with different people and make new, good memories. I keep going until that place doesn't remind me of someone. It’s the same with songs. I listen to them at work and dance around. I sing to them, do karaoke with friends to them. Now those songs are just my songs.

Any other things besides songs and places that might jog someone’s memory? Clothes? I think I have a few articles of clothing from that time period. I’m not sure. I think I've done a pretty good job of forgetting. Lol. Wait, if I still have a jacket from 1997 then I must have something from the relationship era.  The few shirts that I may have, I've probably already worn them other places and probably snapped pictures with other people.



This is just me; a person who just happens to forget and get over someone and never look back.  I let go. Here's a techie visual: Delete all of those memories, and then save over it with new memories onto your RAM. Keep saving the good stuff until you’ve used your entire RAM. J

Enjoy you day!

5 comments:

  1. sure certain songs remind me of past mistakes but not going to certain places because they remind you of someone? kinda. there are a few places i would not want to revisit because of who i went there with. no biggie those places i rarely went to begin with. other than that when a song comes on (that reminds me of someone) that's just it, it reminds me of a person. now places that hold special memories because of a lost loved one, i go there on purpose just to bring back those good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard. It really is. You just gotta keep your mind off that one person. Maybe think of something else, surround yourself with friends, connect with God, or meet someone new. All of which I have done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been able to disassociate a song with a memory or a person once it's been done. No matter how much life twists and turns I can hear a song and BAM a memory always comes tearing back into my brain. Not to say that's always a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the long reply that is about to happen. lol I think you may have a point, but now the wheels in my mind are turning. There's an entire album I haven't heard since the relationship. It's so obscure, it never comes on the radio. I'm thinking of doing a psychological experiment on myself now if/when I ever do get into a relationship. It will happen like this:
      1. Go on romantic getaway weekend.
      2. Listen to album while there.
      3. Never listen to album for at least a year or 2.
      4. Finally listen to album again. Who will I associate album with???
      I say that because there was this song that took me back to high school every time I heard it. A few years back I heard it and then an embarrassing situation happened with the group I was with. Now when I hear it, I feel the embarrassment all over again. I no longer feel carefree like I did back in my teens.
      Thank you for inspiring this experiment. lol

      Delete
  4. I like this post! Learning to delete is a valuable skill.

    ReplyDelete