Saturday, January 19, 2013

Women of Excellence


     As you know, this blog is still in its early stages and I’m not sure yet what direction I want to take it. I’m still finding the voice and the demographic for it. So at this time, I’m just writing what comes my way.
     This morning, I had the opportunity to go to a Women of Excellence brunch. I’m so glad I got up and went because I met some awesome ladies plus I’m getting better at being in social situations. I’m somewhat of a social butterfly already, but I wasn't always that way. It took a lot of putting myself in situations where I would have to talk to complete strangers and get to know them to get this way. My first interactions were always awkward (and I still have my moments) but after going home and analyzing what I did wrong, I would find another event and attend and put myself out there again. So off I went to this event. It was little drive, the next city over. Not too far.
     I get there and see the food spread beautifully, but we couldn't eat just yet. After getting my name tag and signing in, I scan the room for familiar faces and saw a couple but their tables were full. So I made my way to another table. As I said earlier the women were awesome and I connected with all of them.  Later, a woman I knew did join us and the morning just got better and better.
     Then it was time to chow down! I had a protein shake earlier because I wanted to get my metabolism started on the right foot today.  That seemed to help a little but not much because there was mountains of food. It all began with French toast and then went to breakfast quiches. From there it turned into breakfast burritos, biscuits, sausages, cinnamon rolls and all the pastries you could desire. I had told myself no carbs. Yeah, right. By the time I got to the fruit, I was part happy, part shameful. I quickly added strawberries and grapes to my growing pile of delight and headed to the beverage table. A quick grab of juice and water and I was balancing my way back to my table.
     I’m pretty proud I ate the fruit first. Ha ha! But then came the carbs. Oh well, it was a cheat day, right? ;)  My table mates and I chatted and got to know one another and I learned that we had a table mostly made up of single moms. I listened to their stories of overcoming hardships and where they are at today and it was all very inspiring. There was a vast age range at the brunch and I just listened and absorbed what I could in the very short time that we were there.
     The guest speakers were great. I could not believe what background some of them came from because looking at them today, you’d never guess what they've been through.  It was truly amazing and I felt blessed to be able to attend.
     Well that’s all I got today, dear readers.  I’ll leave you with a picture. It’s not a good one because of where I was seated. Next time I will sit on the outskirts so I can get a pic of the entire venue. Also if you would like to know when the next event will be please leave me a comment and your email.


No comments:

Post a Comment